What is Pediatric Dental Care?
Pediatric dentistry specializes in providing dental treatment for children. Infants and young kids experience dental visits in entirely different ways than adults do, and they require unique distractions, gentle reassurance, and kid-sized dental tools for a successful result.
When Should Kids Start Seeing the Dentist?
Many parents wonder when their child should start visiting the dentist. The recommendation is that kids should have their first appointment by their first birthday, or within six months of getting their first tooth. Infant dentistry presents tricky challenges that pediatric specialists are uniquely qualified to address: babies cry at the first sign of aggravation, and they’re unresponsive to requests to open their mouths.
Pediatric Dentistry Services in Waconia, Minnesota
Pediatric dental services we provide include:
- Oral exams
- Teeth cleanings
- Repair of tooth cavities or defects
- Treatment for injuries of the teeth, gums, and soft tissue of the mouth
- Risk assessment for dental caries, an infectious dental disease
- Bite assessments
- Habit counselling for pacifier use and thumb sucking
- Early assessment for orthodontics
- Preventive care such as fluoride treatments and dental sealants
- Diagnosis and management of other oral health issues
How Does a Pediatric Dental Appointment Work?
When you schedule an appointment, you’ll be asked your child’s age, as younger kids often require a longer appointment. Parents are encouraged to join children in the exam room, in order to facilitate effective communication regarding all aspects of your child’s pediatric dental care. The presence of a parent can also make a child feel more comfortable during the appointment. After a few uneventful trip to the dentist, you child will feel much more comfortable about the process.